Friday 31 December 2010

PBG Recipe: Meringues (aka. my first recipe with the new KitchenAid!)

First things first...this was the very first recipe to be made using my new KitchenAid Stand Up Mixer.  Yay!  I can not express how excited I am to finally have one of these babies sitting on my counter top.


It was a breeze to use and did a fantastic job with the egg whites. I would not have had the patience to do these by hand. I have visions of cakes and cupcakes for my brother's birthday in February. 

I am hoping you also notice the photos for this post.  They are the first food shots taken with the new Cannon Rebel T2i camera, which I am also in love with.



A warning, these meringues are SWEET. Almost a little too sweet. I think the next time I make these I will cut back a little on the sugar and maybe fold in some chocolate chips...yum. But, I decided for my first attempt to follow Laura Calder's recipe since it promised chewy centers which is exactly what I wanted.


Ingredients
4 egg whites (at room temperature)
pinch salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup vanilla sugar
2/3 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Directions
  • Whip the whites and salt into stiff peaks.
  • Stir the cream of tartar into the vanilla sugar. Slowly add the sugar mixture to the whites a spoonful at a time, until the meringue is stiff and the sugar has dissolved. You can tell if the sugar is dissolved if you take some between your fingers. If the mixture feels grainy the sugar is not fully dissolved.
  • Sift together the icing sugar and cornstarch.
  • Sift over the meringue and gently fold until fully incorporated.
  • Pipe or spoon the meringues onto a silpat or lined baking sheet.
  • Bake at 225ºF until cream-coloured and crisp on top when tapped, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
  • Remove from the oven. Cool on the trays. Store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment