Ingredients - Sugar Cookies
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium; add eggs and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture gradually, beating until incorporated.
- Shape dough into 2 disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Let 1 disk of dough stand at room temperature until just soft enough to roll, about 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Transfer to baking sheets.
- Freeze until cookies are firm, 15 minutes.
- Bake 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
Ingredients - Royal Icing
2 large (60 grams) egg whites2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups (330 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until combined. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth.
- Add food colouring to achieve desired colour.
- The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air.
- Cover with plastic wrap when not in use.
- Spoon royal icing into a pastry bag fitted with a small plain round tip, and decorate cookies. Let stand overnight or until icing dries completely