Thursday 21 April 2011

PBG Recipe: Cake Balls #fail


You've seen them.  Cute little balls of sugary goodness.  If you haven't seen them you may have been living under a rock but likely haven't gained 5lbs of sugar filled flab in your behind either.  But, this is the price one pays while searching for the next tasty treat.  These little devils were so cute I decided this was something I needed to try myself.  Cake Balls. 

Much to my chagrin, the reality was not nearly as brilliant as the fantasy.  To quote my brother, "Just call them Cake Flops and no one will expect them to look good."  Gee, thanks Stephen.  But, despite their grotesque appearance they actually tasted pretty good.  I will need to work on my technique but I will be trying these again. 

The recipe is super simple and I can not take credit.  Just search the Internet and you can find a recipe that works for you.  Here is the one I used.

Ingredients
1 box cake mix, any flavour (I rolled with chocolate of course)
1/2 tub frosting (chocolate again)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup peanut butter chips
3 cups coloured chocolate wafers (I used yellow and pink for Easter)
Candy sprinkles/confetti (optional)

Directions
  • Make cake according to directions on the box.  Set cake aside until cool enough to handle. 
  • Using your hands or a fork crumble the cake into a large bowl.
  • In stand up mixer combine the frosting and the peanut butter and beat with paddle attachment until well combined.
  • Add frosting mixture and peanut butter chips to cake mixture and mix until well combined.
  • Roll cake into one inch balls and place on a cookie sheet in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden.
  • Melt coloured chocolate wafers according to package directions.  I did mine in the microwave.
  • Dip hardened cake balls into melted chocolate.  Remove cake ball from chocolate and allow excess chocolate to drip off.
  • Place cake ball on parchment paper.
  • Sprinkle confetti on cake balls while chocolate is still soft to ensure they stick.
  • Place cake balls in the fridge until ready to server. 




No comments:

Post a Comment