Monday 2 May 2011

Canada Votes...One More Time with Feeling

It's Election Day in Canada...again.  It seems like every time we turn around we are in a position to vote these days.  I am the first one to admit that I know next to nothing about politics.  In fact, this will be the first time in all my 33 years that I have taken the time to vote for my country.  I know, I know.  It is shameful that I haven't voted until now.  My mom keeps reminding me of that fact.  In my defence, I recognize that my lack of vote means I didn't have a voice so I rarely complained about the government.  But, this time, it was different. 

To be honest, I still hate politics and still don't know that much about the process or the system.  But, this year I made an effort to research the candidates and the Parties and made an informed decision about who to vote for.  There are a lot of issues that are important to me this time around:  the economy, local agriculture, sustainable energy, Health Care and families. 

What I am finding the most irritating when discussing politics with most (but not all) of my friends and co-workers is that the one and only issue that people seem to care about is taxes.  Of course, no body WANTS to pay more taxes but the reality is that it is going to cost money, a lot of money, to fix our economy, continue to provide health care and social service programs and create sustainable energy and resources.  None of these things are going to be resolved without money.  And when the government needs money typically we pay more taxes.  I am not saying this is a great set-up but what I am saying is that I wish people would look beyond their wallets when making their decisions to vote this year. 

Think of all the things that are most important to you right now. Your job? Your family?  Your health?  Vote with your head, not with your wallets and Canada will be a far greater place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment