Wednesday 29 September 2010

A Better Baker

Let's set the record straight.  I am not a baker.  I am not good at following recipes.  And the reality is that baking requires precision and accuracy.  Not my strong points.  But last night, I tackled my foe head on with a simple (and as it turns out...tasty) recipe for Cheddar and Apple Drop Biscuits.  This recipe comes from a cookbook I picked up while I was at the International Plowing Match 2010.  There are no fancy pictures but it's one of those books that has recipes compiled from favourites of the local community.  Lots of classic comfort food and few new things to try.   The Flavours of Elgin cookbook has more than a few recipes I will be trying.

 

 
But, back to my Cheddar Apple Drop Biscuits.  I would like to the original recipe but (shockingly!)  The Flavours of Elgin Cookbook is not actually online.  I actually only made a half batch since I would be the only one eating them but they still turned out great.  I actually used less butter and more apple then the recipe below called for. 

 
Cheddar Apple Drop Biscuits

 
1 3/4 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
1 cup peeled grated apple
3/4 cup milk
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Grate the cold butter into the dry ingredients and toss together.
Add cheese and apple and combine.
Stir in milk and miz with a fork until a rough dough is formed.
Drop 1/4 cupfuls onto a lines baking sheet.
Bake at 425F (220C) for 13 - 15 minutes.

 

 

 
The biscuits turned out moist and delicious with just a hint of apple flavour.  I think you want to use the strongest cheddar cheese you can for this recipe otherwise the cheese flavour will be lost I think.  So, I might not be a baker but I rocked this these biscuits.  They would be great with chili or on their own with a little nut butter.  Yum!  I think I know what I am having for breakfast.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment