Tuesday 28 September 2010

Oats and Dumbbells and Brittany...oh my!

My day started out with a steaming bowl of oats.  But not just any old oats, steel cut oats.  I recently purchased a rice cooker and have been using it frequently for morning oats.  I go to the gym in the morning before work so time is of the essence.  But, I am not willing to give up a hearty breakfast in the interest of time.  Rice cooker oats to the rescue.  My rice cooker has a delay timer so I can set the oats to be perfectly done the moment I make it down to the kitchen.  Perfect! 


Today's Oataliciousness:
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
1 cup almond milk

Once the oats were prepared I added:
1 tsp peanut butter
1 tsp agave nectar
2 tsp chia seeds
splash of milk

It was creamy, chewy, nutty heaven in a bowl.  I washed it all down with a half a glass of milk.

As I mentioned, I like to get my workout out of the way first thing in the morning.  I have learned that if I wait until the evening I can easily talk myself out of it.  I have started using the gym in my office building on my lunch hour a few days a week.  But this is usually a bonus workout or the result of not enough sleep and taking the extra hour in the morning. 

Right now, my workout consists of a 4 day split plus 3 cardio sessions.  Truth be told, I hate cardio.  I would rather lift heavy weights any day instead of running or ellipticalling.  Cardio is easily my downfall and I struggle every week to get in my cardio sessions. 

Today's workout:  Back and Biceps
Lat Pull downs 4 set, 6 reps 70lbs
One Arm Dumbbell Row 4 sets, 15 reps 20 lbs
Barbell Curl 4 sets, 6 reps 40 lbs
Preacher Curls 4 sets, 10 - 12 reps 20 lbs

I am liking this split because it combines heavy weights and low reps with lighter weights with more reps.  It is a good balance I think and I am enjoying it so far.

I must confess...time for Glee...Brittney's on.  Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment