Saturday 25 September 2010

A Day in the Country

So, what does one do on a cold, crisp fall afternoon in Southwestern Ontario?  You go to the 2010 International Plowing Match, obviously. 
I spent the afternoon with my mom and stepdad wandering over 1000 acres of farm equipment, fair food, local vendor booths and lots of other interesting things.  I know for most of you city folk out there (and even some of you country folk) this does not sound like a very exciting Saturday afternoon.  And I agree, I had my doubts.  But, after a little convincing from my mother (who I am pretty sure just dragged me along so she wouldn't have to suffer alone)  I decided I might as well go.  The BF was working for most of the day and if I sat around at home I would have no excuse but to clean up around the house, and I just was not in a Suzie Homemaker mood.

I got up early with the BF and after a lovely bowl of warm steel cuts oats with peanut butter and apricot jam and headed to the gym to squeeze in a weight training session - chest, shoulders and triceps.  The workout went longer than intended so I had to rush home and shower before the parental units arrived for out rural adventure.  Once I was showered and dressed I managed to make myself a travel mug of coffee just as my parents arrived.

A quick 25 minute drive had us parked in the massive parking area and on a shuttle bus (that's right - this event was so huge we needed to take a shuttle bus to get us to the main area!) and on our way into the IPM.  The first part of the day was spent wandering through tents and exhibits speaking with local artisans and business people and learning about sustainable agriculture, energy alternatives and local tourism. 

The afternoon was spent looking at antique farm equipment and cars. 




There were plowing matches and other tractor related events going on throughout the day and even a tractor parade in the afternoon.  There is also a good chance some fair-like food was involved.  Grilled chicken pita with tzatiki sauce and grilled veggies was the highlight.  Some chocolate and peanut butter fudge was also purchased but has yet to be tasted.  All in all it was a pretty good afternoon.  Lots of walking, lots of fresh air and lots of interesting stuff. 

Plans for tonight are sushi and a movie with the BF.

No comments:

Post a Comment