Wednesday 16 March 2011

PBG Recipe: Spinach and Mushroom Calzone

Pizza is one of my most favourite foods.  All that cheese and fresh veggies....yum!  A while ago I went to my brothers house for dinner and scarfed down the yummiest home made pizza ever.  Well I stole my brothers pizza dough recipe and made my own pizza a few weeks ago and it was yummy.  But since then I have had some dough left over and just could not decide what to do with it until this week...Calzone.  It's like a big old home made pizza pocket.  And it was awesome.  I made mine with spinach and mushrooms but you could certainly use whatever fillings you want.


Ingredients

softball sized ball of pizza dough
2 cups spinach
1 cup mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp of oil
salt & pepper
2 tbsp basil pesto
1/4 cup of Monetary Jack cheese, shredded
1/4 cup of Feta cheese cubed

Directions
  • Pour oil into pan over medium heat and add garlic.
  • Add mushroom and onion and saute until golden.
  • Add spinach and stir until wilted.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Take mushroom mixture off the heat and add 2 tbsp of basil pesto and mix thoroughly until all filling is coated.
  • Roll pizza dough to approx. 1/4 inch thickness.  Try to roll the dough into a circle.  Mile was more of a triangle but I made it work.
  • Scoop filling onto one have of the pizza dough and top with cheeses.
  • Fold over the top of the pizza dough and press edges together to make a pocket.  Make sure the edges of the dough are fully sealed or your yummy filling will ooze out. 
  • Back in the oven at 375 degrees for approx. 15 minutes or until the crust browns and the filling is heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment