Sunday 5 December 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

And, of course, I mean Holiday Party season.  I love the holidays and I especially love Holiday parties.  Sadly, I do not have many to attend this year but I will be making the best of the one's I do attend.  Last week I had my office Holiday Party.  You probably don't know this about me but I am a member of my office Social Committee.  What does that mean, exactly?  It means that I get to order birthday cake and help organize Holiday Parties. 

We booked at the London Club.  This is a members only club in London, Ontario.  It is fancy AND schmancy. 




We booked the Bowling Alley which is a long narrow room with a bar at one end and seating at the other.  There were cocktails followed buy dinner and mingling.  It was a good time.  The only disappointment was my dinner.

As you know, I am a flexatarian so I do my best to order vegetarian options when they are available.  This year's meal selections included a vegetarin option so I thought I might as well try it.  When it come time for our dinner to be served my meal started with a lovely root vegetable soup.  Some people choose to order the salad which also looked good.  Then our main entrees were delivered.  The other choices were Arctic Char and Turkey.  These were served with a mountain of garlic mashed potatos and a side of seasonal veggies.  Both of these choices looked awesome. 

Then, my entree came.  I was starving so I was looking forward to it.  When the waitress placed my entree in from of me I thought it was some kind of mistake.  I had a very yummy looking tower of grilled portabella mushrooms and zucchini with goat cheese....and that's it.  No potatos, no seasonal veggies.  My heart sank.  This was it?  This was my whole meal?  I was going to starve.  Everyone was looking at my plate wondering what the heck I had ordered.  And quite frankly, so was I.  Just because I am a vegetarian doesn't mean I don't need a substantial meal.  I am not on a diet...I am just concerned with animal welfare.  I will admit that the mushroom tower was very tasty but I clearly looked pathetic and hungry becasue my table mate offered most of her mashed potatos and veggies off her own plate.  She has kids so she is likely used to having to share.  If it wasn't for her I most certainly would have starved. 

The rest of the evening was filled with friends, chatter and drinks.  As with every holiday party there was one guest who felt the need to show his true colours (free beer and wine will do that to people).  Apparently he spent a large part of the evening telling anyone who would listen his views on the current cultural state of the country.  But, despite his efforts to be offensive he wasn't able to dampen everyone's fun. 

I hope everyone had a good time.  I am looking forward to the rest of the holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment