Tuesday 26 October 2010

PBG Recipe: Apricot Oat Squares

I first saw this recipe over at Oh She Glows - good job Angela.  As soon as I saw the ingredient list I knew I was going to make these.  I had all the ingredients on hand and have been looking for a good mid-morning snack option for work.  This seemed to fit the bill perfectly. 




I made a few very minor tweaks to make it my own and went to town.  They turned out pretty good. I think next time I am going to incorporate some nut butter into the base mixture.  Yum!


1.5 cups regular oats
1 cup whole wheat flour 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds+ 4 tbsp warm water)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tbsp chocolate almond milk
1/4 cup walnuts
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 cup fruit jam of your choice (I used apricot)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan with parchment paper or use a non-stick pan like my funky silicone one.

In a small bowl, mix the chia seeds with the water and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. 

In a small bowl, mix the melted butter, maple syrup, almond milk, and chia egg. Stir well.

Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well.

Pour the oat mixture onto a square pan and press down firmly into the pan.  

Spread fruit jam on top of the oat base and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.  Press the seeds into the jam.

Bake at 350F for approximately 30 minutes. Allow to fully cool for at least 30-40 minutes before gently removing from pan. Slice and then store in a container or wrap in individual squares and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment