Saturday 30 October 2010

Goal #1 Create My Vision

Are you good at setting goals?  Are you good at achieving the goals you have set for yourself?  I have read so many times on blogs and in various books about the importance of setting goals for motivation and for creating a vision for your future.  The process of setting goals is meant to help you choose where you want to go in life. By knowing precisely what you want to achieve, you know where you have to concentrate your efforts.

So far, in my life goal setting is something I have not been good at.  That is not to say I haven't made some pretty significant achievements in my life.  But I have never been good at laying out a life plan or strategy.  I have big, lofty goals like getting married and having a family but when it comes to setting quantifiable goals and sticking to a plan to achieve them I flop.  Big time. 

I understand the theory behind goal setting but I guess my real problem lies in the fact that I don't really know what I want.  Sure, I could say I want to train for a 10km race (which I have done successfully in the past) but, I have to be honest, running 10km doesn't really seem like much of an achievement to me.  Sure it is hard, but not really goal-worthy in my mind.  I could commit to writing this blog (which I have) but how to I quantify my success?


So, here is what I am going to do.  I need to kick-start my life with a vision.  I need to plan and visualize what I want to be doing and how I am going to be living in the future.  I never really thought much about my future.  Once I was out of school and working I figured this was my future.  But it seems I got stuck. 

I have seen a lot of info about vision boards and  inspiration boards.  I am a creative and visual person so maybe this will be a good place for me to start.  My goal for this week is to create a vision board - a vision of my life in 5 years.  Who do I want to be?  Where to I want to go?  What do I want to do?

How to you set goals and stay motivated?

No comments:

Post a Comment