Saturday 9 October 2010

PBG Recipe: Pumpkin Butter

It had an eventful night in my kitchen last night.  I whipped together my very first batch of pumpkin butter and probably my 100th batch of chili.  The chili was mostly for the BF as he is on a high protein diet plan right now and Friday is chili day.  This particular recipie is pretty basic to meet the BFs requirements so it isn't really worth posting.  But, the BF likes it and there are always leftovers for me.

The Pumpkin Butter however is a different story.  It. Was. Epic.  And very easy.  I will be bringing some along with me to our family festivities this weekend.  Imagine being able to spread the taste of pumpkin pie on a warm cinnimon bagle or on top of your morning oats.  Heaven! 


My inspiration came from Angela's recipe.  Here is what I put in my mix.

Pumpkin Butter

3 cups of pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup apple juice
1.5 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (more or less according to your taste)
dash of salt
1 pagkage gelatin

Mix everything except for the gelatin in a saucepan and heat on medium, stirring frequently, until it thickens.  This takes about 15 minutes and should not be left unattended.   The longer you cook the thicker it will be.  Take the mixture off the heat and add the gelatin according to the package directions and stir.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks (if it even lasts that long).




Like I have said before, I am not a great chef.  But, this was an epic success.  You should try it.  A little taste of fall in a jar.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians!  Well, technically Thanks Giving is on Monday but it is a long weekend for us here in Canada so it means family, friends and turkey dinners all weekend.  Yay!  I will be documenting my brother's and my first attempt at Thanksgiving dinner.  He loves to cook so he has most of the menu decided.  I get to me in charge of dessert (the best part of the meal!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment