Saturday 2 October 2010

Somethin' with Pumpkin

I seems that in the world of food blogging all forms of squash, and most especially pumpkin, are a major fan favourite.  I have seen countless recipes for pumpkin smoothies and pumpkin oats all over the health and wellness blogs I read.  So, while the thought of pumpkin in anything other than pie (YUM!) seemed strange to me I decided to give it a go.  So, after baring my soul this morning I was famished.  Time for a pumpkin inspired breakie.


In the mix:

1/2 leftover plain cooked Quinoa
1/3 cup quick cook Oats
1/2 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
squirt of Agave Nectar
2 tbsp unsweetened Apple Sauce
2 tbsp canned pumpkin
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

On top:
Cacao nibs
Chia seeds
Extra splash of Almond Milk

The verdict?  Meah, it was ok.  I was expecting great pumpkin pie-esque things but to be hones it wasn't that great.  I wanted it to be really great, I really did.  It was very filling and I did wash it all down some some Vanilla flavoured coffee with milk.  But, sadly I do not think that breakfast pumpkin will be a staple in my kitchen.  Maybe something more savory like a pumpkin risotto to use up the leftovers?  Or a pumpkin soup?

Do you love pumpkin?

No comments:

Post a Comment