Sunday 17 October 2010

PBG Recipe: Chocolate Summer Squash Loaf

I was looking for a way to use up the rest of these very cute summer squash that I bought earlier.  There were way to cute to go to waste.


And, as usual, I was craving something sweet.  Ideally, something with chocolate.  So, a chocolate zucchini loaf was the obvious answer.  I googled a few basic recipes and came up with the following sinful list of ingredients.  The final product was moist and chocolaty.  I made 2 loaves and thankfully have some family members that are more than willing to help me eat my creations.  




Chocolate ZucchiniLoaf

Makes 2 loaves.

1/4 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

1 heaping tbsp Greek yogurt
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsps cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions

In large bowl, cream together oil, butter, yogurt, apple sauce and sugars.  Stir in eggs, vanilla and buttermilk.

In medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir until just combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.

Pour mixture into two greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.

Bake in preheated 350F oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.


Eat a slice, or two, or three with your family, friends or even by yourself.  I promise I won't tell anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment