Wednesday 20 October 2010

The Sum of Your Parts

Today is National Love Your Body Day!  Now, I will admit I did not even know such a wonderful day existed until today.  When I read about it this morning I thought, "I can embrace this, it is such an amazing concept." 

How audacious...to love your body not in spite of it's imperfections but because of them.  Brilliant!  Like most women, I struggle with my image of myself all the time.  But, in this moment, for this one day I vowed to love my body.  Totally.  Completely. 

So, I sat down and made a list.  A list that I think all women should write and post on their fridge.  A list of all the things I love about my body.  Here is my list (in no particular order):
  1. I am tall.  5'9 and I love very inch of it.  I love to wear 4" heels - even if that means I have to look at the tops of everyone's head.
  2. My booty.  I've got some junk in the trunk and I am ok with that.
  3. My legs.  Because they took me on a 10km run when I thought I could never be a runner. 
  4. My brain.  I am one smart cookie (did someone say cookie?  I could go for a snack right about now.)
  5. My heart.  It keeps me alive and it keeps me going no matter how many times it has been broken.
  6. My smile.  It is often goofy and always genuine. (proof of goofy smile is below)
  7. My arms.  I give a mean hug.  If you ever need a hug let me know.  These arms were made for hugging.
It can be hard for many women to make a list like this but it is important that we all begin to understand that our worth as human beings does not lie in how we are viewed by others but in how we view ourselves.  Love all of your parts - big and small, soft and hard, awkward and graceful.  Love it all.  Because you are the full sum of all your beautiful parts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment