Thursday 28 October 2010

PBG Recipe: Clam Chowder

I love soup.  I make a big pot of soup at least once a week.  Even in the summer.  Soup is such an easy way to get lots of flavour and lots of veggies into your diet.  I have to admit, I do love cream soups and good clam chowder is one of my favourites.  |I had never made clam chowder before so I did some google-ing, made some additions to beef up the veggie content and attempted my first clam chowder.  Not too bad if I do say so myself. 


3 tsp butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 can clams (6-1/2 ounces)
1 cup bottled clam juice
2 cups 35% cream
2 cups chicken stock
2 medium potatoes, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
salt and pepper to taste

In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, saute onion, garlic in 1 tsp butter over low heat. Do not allow to brown.  Add carrots and celery and saute for another 3-4 minutes. 

Add clam juice and chicken stock and bring to a simmer and add potatoes.  Let simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

In a separate saucepan melt 2 tablespoons of butter.  Slowly stir in the flour to make a roux.  Continue to stir the roux for 1-2 minutes.  Add cream and simmer until thickened.  

Add clams and thickened cream mixture to soup pot and heat to serving temperature. Do not allow to boil, as this toughens the clams.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment